The following method can be used to share your Mac's VyprVPN connection with other devices via Wi-Fi. If you are looking to use VyprVPN with devices like your Apple TV or Roku and do not have a VPN connection setup in your router, this is a perfectly acceptable alternative.
Please note that Golden Frog offers limited support for this configuration. Setup instructions are provided as-is with no guarantee of functionality.
Prerequisite: Your Mac must be connected via Ethernet to your modem or router in order to share the VyprVPN connection via Wi-Fi.
- Setup a manual PPTP or L2TP/IPSec connection. This setup does not currently work with OpenVPN or Chameleon and works best when using a native OSX VPN connection. Manual connection instructions can be found here.
- Connect to VyprVPN with the newly created connection.
- Open System Preferences.
- Go to Sharing.
- Select Internet Sharing.
- For "Share your connection from", select the name of the VyprVPN connection you created in step 1.
- For "To computers using", select Wi-Fi.
- Click Wi-Fi Options and assign the network a name of your choosing. You are creating a new wireless network for your device to connect to. It is recommended that you change the Security to WPA2 Personal and secure it with a password.
- Check the box next to Internet Sharing to start sharing the connection. If prompted with a warning message, click Start .
- Using the device you want to use VyprVPN on, find the newly created Wi-Fi network and connect to it with your chosen password.
- The device will be using the shared VyprVPN connection via Wi-Fi!
Note: The wireless network you created via Internet Sharing will be visible to your devices anytime you enable the connection you setup in step 1. If you do not see the Wi-Fi network name you chose for the shared connection, ensure the VyprVPN connection you setup is active and that Internet Sharing is properly configured.
If you need any further assistance, please contact support.
Last reviewed/updated June 2019